A press release from Microsoft updates us on some development tools and cloud services designed to support the world of "Creators".
On the occasion of Microsoft Build 2019, Microsoft's annual developer conference, the company presented new technologies aimed at creating smart and productivity solutions. During the event, Microsoft customers and partners, including Starbucks, JP Morgan, Kroger, Spatial, Epic Games and others, showed new solutions for smarter, customer-oriented experiences.
New features include new collaboration and productivity services on apps and the web, as well as AI features on Microsoft 365 to keep pace with the constant evolution of the world of work. In addition, Microsoft offers new open source technologies and new development tools for Azure and Windows. Microsoft's secure and extensible cloud platforms that include infrastructure, data, AI and mixed reality, productivity and collaboration, business applications and gaming bring together an international community of developers and technological capabilities to create new and revolutionary experiences for organizations and end users . In his opening speech, Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft, illustrated the company vision and the opportunities offered to developers with Microsoft Azure, Microsoft Dynamics 365, Power Platform, Microsoft 365 and Microsoft Gaming.
"With the increasing integration of technology into every aspect of our lives, it will be precisely the choices of developers to shape the world around us," he said. Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft. "Microsoft is therefore committed to providing these professionals with reliable platforms and tools at every level of the modern technology stack, to create magical experiences that offer everyone new opportunities."
Microsoft 365: the cloud for productivity on a global scale
Microsoft 365 offers secure and integrated productivity experiences for everyone, from large corporations to SMEs, from knowledge workers to firstline workers.
Microsoft Graph, a fundamental component of Microsoft 365, is one of the most complete solutions on the market to capture the relationships between organizational activities and allows you to safely map the relationships between people, information and activities within an organization. The goal is to show connection points and insights to improve work and collaboration.
Among today's news:
- Microsoft Graph data connect, now available to the public, offers developers new opportunities to use Microsoft Graph. Microsoft Graph data connect is a service that, through Azure Data Factory, allows organizations to group productivity data from Microsoft Graph and its commercial data securely and on a large scale. A balance is thus created between customer requests for a new class of insight-driven applications based on large-scale data sets and the need for IT administrators to manage and move significant volumes of business data.
- Microsoft Graph data connect is now available to the public as a Workplace Analytics feature and as a standalone SKU for independent software vendors (ISVs).
- Microsoft also announced Fluid Framework, to offer teams and people new ways of shared creation. It is a new web-based platform and a model of a documented document for shared interactive experiences. Fluid will eliminate the barriers that characterize traditional documents, inaugurating the era of fluid canvas. Among its functions:
- Allow the de-structuring and restructuring of content, for example web-based or productivity apps, in modular components that facilitate shared creation.
- Guarantee high-performance shared creation experiences among several people at new speeds for the sector.
- Support intelligent agents with the human element to carry out shared creation activities, retrieve content, suggest photos, identify experts, convert data and much more.
- Fluid will be available to developers later this year through a software development kit. Also during the year, the first Microsoft 365 experiences powered by Fluid are planned.
- New features have been introduced for the next version of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium OS able to solve some of the main browser critical issues, including:
- IE mode is aimed at companies (they are over 60%) that today use multiple browsers, IE mode integrates Internet Explorer directly into the new Microsoft Edge via a tab, thus facilitating the operation, in a modern browser, of old apps based on Internet Explorer.
- Privacy Tools These are additional controls, which allow customers to choose between three levels of privacy in Microsoft Edge: Unrestricted, Balanced and Strict. Depending on the option selected, Microsoft Edge regulates the traceability of the user on the web by third parties, guaranteeing customers greater choice and transparency for a more personalized experience.
- Collections Created to address the current information overload perceived by online users, this function allows to collect, organize, share and export content more efficiently and in an integrated way with Office. These and other features will be gradually introduced within the large-scale launch of the next version of Microsoft Edge.
- Today, Microsoft announced its vision for the future of intelligent agents. This is a new approach focused on creating powerful conversational interfaces based on data and machine learning, rather than on rules, intentions and codes. The company envisions a world in which every organization has an agent, just as today every organization has a website. The dialogue experience will be completely natural, ranging between multiple domains and, above all, working with multiple agents. The creation of the Semantic Machines team helps to speed up the work in this area. In the future, this technology will be integrated into Microsoft's conversational experiences, including Cortana, and will be made available to developers in Microsoft Bot Framework and Azure Bot Service.
More information on today's news for Microsoft 365, including more details on the new development tools proposed for Windows, Office and Teams, can be found in this blog post.
New development tools and open source technologies for creating intelligent apps in the cloud and in the edge
Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) is one of the fastest growing Azure services. Used by global companies like ASOS to manage large-scale container cloud app infrastructure, it guarantees optimal reliability and flexibility.
At Build, Microsoft presents many new features and capabilities designed to enhance and protect Kubernetes workflows:
- Kubernetes Event–driven Autoscaling (KEDA) is an open source component created in collaboration with Red Hat, which supports the use of eventless-driven serverless containers on Kubernetes. Now in public preview, KEDA presents a new hosting option for Azure Functions, which can be used as a Kubernetes cluster container, facilitating the adoption of the scalability controller and Azure Functions programming model in any implementation of Kubernetes, on cloud or on-premises with OpenShift.
- Azure Policy for AKS allows the application and helps to maintain large-scale impositions of AKS clusters in a centralized and coherent way. Azure Policy blocks any violations that occur during runtime and performs compliance assessments on all clusters for up-to-date visibility throughout the environment.
Quantum computing represents a new and exciting frontier for developers. With Q #, designed specifically for quantum programming, Microsoft provides an intuitive high-level programming language with a native type system for qubits, operators and other abstractions. On the occasion of Build, Microsoft releases in open source Q # compilers and simulators to expand the Q # developer community and provide partners and startups with new opportunities to improve the offerings of their companies.
Developers spend most of the day alternating between applications, services and tools. To optimize the work, Microsoft has integrated into GitHub the most widely used corporate identification system in the world, Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). Users of GitHub Enterprise will thus be able to benefit from the advantages of managing Azure AD identity and security, as well as account synchronization between different systems. Now developers can also sign in to Azure even with your own GitHub account, including Azure Portal and Azure DevOps. The upgrade allows GitHub developers to move from the repository to the deployment using only the GitHub account.
Supporting and managing the exponential growth of application data and creating the basis for AI functionality is essential for the development of any modern cloud application. The new Hyperscale option (Citus) in Azure Database for PostgreSQL joins Azure SQL Database Hyperscale to allow developers to build highly scalable, low-latency applications by leveraging their current skills. This new option significantly expands processing, storage and memory resources to the extent necessary, allowing developers to devote themselves to creating experiences without having to worry about scale and performance limitations. Azure is the only cloud that allows developers to scale across multiple engines, both proprietary SQL databases and open source databases like PostgreSQL.
Develop solutions for the security of the electoral process
È our conviction that technology can play a fundamental role in guaranteeing the security of the elections and that technology companies have a duty to provide the necessary support. Today, Microsoft has announced two new solutions designed with security systems in place around the world:
- ElectionGuard is a free open source software development kit created in collaboration with Galois, which offers security guarantees and public verifiability for the electoral process, as well as assistance and tools for the creation of more accessible voting systems. Microsoft asks developers around the world to expand and integrate ElectionGuard into new and existing voting systems. The software development kit ElectionGuard will be available this summer at GitHub and Microsoft has already started collaborations with several major electoral technology providers to test the service for future elections.
- Microsoft also announced Microsoft 365 for Campaigns. Also available in June, this new service will offer the advanced security features of Microsoft 365 Business to support parties and election campaigns, starting with those for the federal office in the United States. Agile and convenient, the service will be preconfigured to optimally adapt to the specific operational environments of the campaigns, including the high security risk profile and the fast pace. Microsoft 365 for Campaigns based on AccountGuard, the detection system and notification of attacks on national states launched in 2018, simplifies security for political organizations by providing specialized wizards, which can be used to strengthen the level of security of campaigns in a simple and efficient way. Interested electoral organizations can register by visiting the site https://m365forcampaigns.microsoft.com.
Intensified investments on partners
Partners are critical to developing solutions that meet specific customer sectoral needs, and Microsoft is committed to supporting them. Since the introduction of Microsoft's first co-selling program, which extends the global reach of Microsoft's sales force to the partner ecosystem, almost 3.000 ISVs working on Azure have generated sales of more than 5 billion dollars in the last 12 months . The original program is designed to assist corporate clients in the digital transformation, introducing relevant solutions from ISV partners using Azure. Today, Microsoft has announced two expansions for this program:
- The expansion of co-selling to Microsoft 365, Dynamics 365 and Power Platform to intensify the collaboration aimed at the sale of sector applications.
- The expansion of sales incentives to Microsoft channel partners for the resale of ISV solutions through Microsoft's Cloud Solution Provider (CSP) program. This offers all ISVs, large and small, an effective "channel as a service" to accelerate the acquisition of customers through one of the main distribution channels in the world.
With the introduction of the ability to manage seat-based transactions for SaaS solutions in the AppSource and Azure Marketplace, Microsoft will provide customers from over 141 Countries with faster access to partner innovations in Microsoft's cloud marketplaces or through its own international channel. retailers.
Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT" @microsoft) offers an ecosystem of solutions and services that allow public and private organizations of any size and sector to realize their digital transformation projects in a new world of cloud and devices, able to free the benefits of artificial intelligence with maximum security and privacy. Microsoft's mission is to help people and organizations realize their potential through technology.